1. Data Sufficiency: Structure & Format by Ayman Sadiq [Skill development]
Critical Reasoning Hard 3
- A package is never accepted for delivery by the RAF Delivery Service unless it is within a specified size limits. All packages accepted for delivery by the RAF Delivery Service have a return address. If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
- A recent study on football injuries has claimed a very high association between strength training exercises and knee ligament injuries, yet we see many athletes who regularly take part in strength training exercises but do not injure their knee ligaments. On the other hand, many victims of knee ligament injuries had never taken part in strength training exercises. We can conclude that _____________.
- I am afraid that Rakibul will never be able to drive his Lamborghini again. Last month he ruined its turbocharger and the mechanics say that it can’t be repaired. The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions? (i) A Lamborghini must have a working turbocharger in order to be driven. (ii) A turbocharger is a must to help a Lamborghini go fast. (iii) How well a person drives may be influenced by the condition of his car.
- Whenever Sourodip is outdoors and the sun is shining, he wears his sunglasses. Whenever he is outdoors and the sun is not shining, he carries his sunglass in his pocket. Sometimes, the sun is shining when he is not outdoors. If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true IF Sourodip is not wearing his sunglasses?
- Mr. and Mrs. Ahmed and their daughter Samara went to cross the river Thames. The only way across is by boat. Only Tabasser is available with his boat but he does not allow anybody to row his boat and takes only one passenger at a time. Samara is a little girl and thus she can’t be left alone on the river bank. Which of the following conditions is not part of the successful passage of the Ahmed family across the river?
- Wine Company Representative: The corks of red wine bottles pose a threat to the environment since they are treated with chemicals that are toxic in landfills. But our newly developed cork, which will be adopted by the entire red wine industry, is natural and thus does not pose any threat to the landfills once the industry completes its transition. Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument?
- A restaurant is replacing some of its tables with taller ones. It already fills every available seat during its operating hours, and the change in seating arrangements won’t result in an increase in its seating capacity. But the management expects revenue to increase even without any change in menu, prices, or operating hours. Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?
- In comparison to the standard typewriter keyboard, the EFCO keyboard, which places the most-used keys nearest the typist's strongest fingers, allows faster typing and results in less fatigue. Therefore, replacement of standard keyboards with the EFCO keyboard will result in an immediate reduction of typing costs. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion drawn above?
- When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is spent at the factory for safety precautions and machinery maintenance. Thus the average number of on-the-job accidents per employee each month should be lower during periods when demand is high. Which of the following, if true about a factory when demand for its products is high, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
- Wood smoke contains dangerous toxins that cause changes in human cells. Because wood smoke presents such a high health risk, legislation is needed to regulate the use of open-air fires and wood-burning stoves. Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument above?