1. Data Sufficiency: Structure & Format by Ayman Sadiq [Skill development]
Critical Reasoning Hard 1
- I am afraid that Mehedi will never be an outstanding athlete. Last month he suffered from an injury after he had a knee ligament torn during an intense practice session and the doctors failed to cure that. The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions? (i) One must not suffer from any ligament injuries in order to take part in athletics. (ii) How well an athlete can perform may be influenced by the state of his ligament. (iii) A fully healed ligament is a must for professional athleticism.
- A parcel is never accepted for delivery by the Royal Mailing Service unless it is within the established size limits. All packages accepted for delivery by the Royal Mail have a return address. If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
- The film “Inglorious Basterds”, a war movie, was clearly the best movie of 2009, since the box office receipts showed that even more people went for the movie than “Matir Moyna”, the highly acclaimed Bangladeshi film on similar theme. The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?
- A recent study has claimed a very high association between drinking alcohol and liver cirrhosis, yet we see many regular alcohol consumers showing no signs of liver cirrhosis. On the other hand, many victims of liver cirrhosis had never consumed alcohol. We can conclude that _____________.
- Ramim and Erad took five courses together but achieved the same grade in only one of the courses - Economics. Each course was graded on a scale ranging from 60 to 100. Which of the following allows one to determine if the average of grades achieved by Ramim was higher than that achieved by Erad in those five courses?
- A small dose of a tranquilizer allows people to lie during lie detector tests without being discovered. It can inhibit the stress responses that lie detectors measure without any noticeable side effects. So, people often think that this drug will be in reducing stress in everyday situations. An assumption of the passage is that _____________.
- In one Central Asian community, it is customary for both men and women to keep their hair cut extremely short. However, some of the bestselling items in the community market are beaded hair bands that work only with long hair. Which of the following, if true, can best reconcile this apparent discrepancy?
- Hunter: Many people blame hunters alone for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played a huge role. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer. In the hunter's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?
- According to a prediction of the not-so-distant future published in 1940, electricity would revolutionize agriculture. Electrodes would be inserted into the soil, and the current between them would kill bugs and weeds and make crop plants stronger. Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the logic of the prediction above is flawed?
- Commentator: The theory of trade retaliation states that countries closed out of any of another country's markets should close some of their own markets to the other country in order to pressure the other country to reopen its markets. If every country acted according to this theory, no country would trade with any other. The commentator's argument relies on which of the following assumptions?