1. Data Sufficiency: Structure & Format by Ayman Sadiq [Skill development]
Critical Reasoning Medium 5
- Fernando Alonso: I want to sign up for the McLaren F1 team. I’ve been told that they’ll have a very good car for the new season. Martin Brundle: That’s not true. One of my friends is a test driver for that team and he says that their new car can’t even go faster than 200 miles/hr. From the conversation above it can be inferred that Martin interpreted Fernando’s statement to mean that the McLaren F1 team _________________.
- Most good actors have won at least one Oscar. Since, Leonardo DiCaprio hasn’t won any Oscars he’s probably not a good actor. The argument above most resembles which of the following?
- Sprinters, who usually take part in short distance races, often have more trouble than marathon runners when it comes to running in long distance races. Being accustomed to the short boosts of speed, sprinters while taking part in long distance races seem not to respect the stamina and endurance required for such a race, as they should. The passage implies that the short distance races mentioned above ____________.
- During a recent press conference, Samsung Bangladesh’s Marketing Director, Mr. Tabasser Ahmed said that their smartphones range from BDT 10,000 to 80,000. He also added that if any of their phones cost more than BDT 30,000 then it definitely has a high quality selfie camera. If the above statements are true, then which of the following must be true?
- Lewis Hamilton, who has just won the Formula 1 world championship, gives credit to his exuberant driving style for this huge success. The best way to counter this argument would be to point out that ________________.
- In the English premier League, top 4 teams have star players. None of the smaller teams have any star players. All the teams having star players play very well. If all of the above statements are true, which of the following must also be true?
- Zihan can finish this complex puzzle in less than 3 minutes. The statement above can be logically deduced from which of the following statements?
- Ramim: “I wish you stopped acting like a narcissist. It’s bad for your reputation.” Rodella: “That’s not true. My reputation is no worse than they were a year ago.” Which of the following responses would most strengthen Erad’s argument?
- Most people who drive fast are reckless. Therefore, since James May drives slowly he isn’t reckless. The argument above resembles which of the following?
- Erad is standing on the right side of Zihan. Tabasser is standing on the opposite side of Zihan. Since the opposite of right is wrong, Tabasser must be standing on the wrong side of Erad. The author of the argument above has committed which of the following logical errors?